10 Korean Beers For New Craft Beer Drinkers
Are you new to craft beer? Are you constantly asked which beers are good for beginners? Navigating the constantly evolving beer scene in Seoul can be difficult for even the most seasoned craft beer fan, nevermind being new to craft beer.
We have collected 10 commonly available beers in Seoul (and one special release!) to help you drink with confidence around the city and stop worrying about what to order.
1. Jolly Pong - Seoul Brewery - an easy-drinking 5.7% brown ale aged with Jolly Pong for a light cereal flavour with strong notes of caramel. Pairs well with grilled meat...or Jolly Pong.
2. Weizen - Jafa Brewery - a classic German hefeweizen with notes of clove and banana and slight malt sweetness at4.7%. Pairs well with light seafood.
3. Pale Ale - Magpie Brewing - one of the pioneering beers in the Korean craft scene, this lightly hoppy 4.8% pale ale hits all the notes of subtle citrus, crisp finish, and malt sweetness. Pairs well with every Magpie pizza.
4. Mr. Yellow Craft Pilsner - Mysterlee Brewing - bringing a touch more flavour than one would normally expect from a pilsner thanks to a dose of dry hops, this pilsner is crisp, easy-drinking, and a perfect anytime beer at 5.4%. Pair it with something spicy.
5. Weizenbock - Kramerlee Brewing - This German Weizenbock from our friendly Hapjeong neighbours has built up quite the following since it debuted. Expect all the familiar weizen notes of banana and clove, but a bigger punch at 7.0%. Pairs well with anything grilled.
6. Monk IPA - Playground Brewing - an excellent example of the classic American IPA, the Monk IPA from Playground Brewing perfectly balances 7.2% and 65 IBUs with a delicate caramel-malty sweetness. Pairs beautifully with a burger.
7. Juicinder - Chillhops Brewing - a 5.4% New England Style IPA, this hazy IPA brings a ton of fruity/tropical flavour while minimizing the bitterness.
8. British Stout - Gorilla Brewing - a smooth 6.2% stout with strong notes of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. A delicious easy drinking stout that can be enjoyed at any time of the year. A natural pairing with chocolate.
9. Surelim - WIld Wave Brewing - the beer that put Wild Wave on the map is a lightly soured 5.3% beer with a ton of lemony/fruit flavours. A delicious beer for any level of beer drinker. Pair it with any citrusy salad.
10. Hopster IPA - Andong Brewing - another classic drinking American IPA from Andong brewing that clocks in at 6.9%. Grapefruit pith and soft bitterness. Pairs well with tacos!